Pages

Monday, June 30, 2014

The Julian Chapter: A Wonder Story (ebook) by R.J. Palacio

I appreciate that the author attempted to round out the character Julian from her book, Wonder. He is the bully and is one-dimensional in the story. While an explanation is given, it lacked authenticity for me. I appreciated the attempt to show parents that were loving, but misguided in their parenting of Julian. I just didn't buy his character. The end had more power than the beginning and pulling in the Holocaust as an example of bullies is very powerful. Some might find the message too didactic. Palacio is good at manipulating emotions and she does it in this short story too. While I liked it, I know I will forget it in the future. My students seem to like it. 

2 comments:

  1. I cried happy and sad tears throughout this book, but my happiest tears were for the ending. If everyone could just have an Auggie in their lives, I think we would be better people. This book will stay with me for a long time, in a GOOD way.
    Divorce Lawyer Seattle Engle Law Group

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I loved "Wonder" and it has stayed with me too. Many of my students ask me for a book like it. This short chapter missed the mark for me, but I know many will like it. Palacio is an excellent writer.

    ReplyDelete